Wireless Internet and Ethernet
The common areas in the guest houses and individual apartments have both wireless and wired Internet access. Before you use wireless access make sure you have wireless turned on for your system:
To connect to wireless in your residence:
- If you are using Windows you will usually find the wireless icon in your taskbar
- If you are using a Mac the wireless settings are usually located on the menu bar at the top
- If you have a mobile device the wireless connection list may be located in a Settings menu
For network security reasons the Folger will block wireless access if you have failed three times. If you think this has happened or if you have other problems connecting to the wireless router please contact email@example.com.
- Select the wireless access point provided for the residence on the device you are using
- Wait for a minute to allow the wireless connection to be made and make sure you have a signal strength of at least two bars. If necessary, you may need to move to get a better signal. Do this before you go to step 3.
- Enter the username and password provided for your residence
- Press the button labeled ”I Agree with Policy Above,” and you should be directed to your homepage. You are connected via wireless.
Phone, Voicemail, and Television
The common areas in the guest houses and individual apartments have HD satellite television and a telephone so that you can stay connected to both the Folger and the world beyond the Library during your stay.
Your telephone is connected to the main Folger switchboard in order to provide you with voicemail capability. This has the added benefit of allowing you to dial by three-digit extension to any of the phones in the Folger Shakespeare Library system.
The laundry arrangements are noted for each room or apartment but most share a common washer and dryer and some are coin operated. There are many Dry Cleaners and Laundromats within a mile’s radius of the Folger as well.
Tenants are discouraged from bringing cars to Washington since the Folger is not able to accommodate parking. Car sharing programs like
Zip Car and Car To Go are reasonable alternatives to bringing your own car.
Another option for personal transportation is Capital Bike Share. There is a bike station just one block from the Folger at 4th and East Capitol Streets.
If a tenant feels compelled to bring a car, then the tenant will need to apply for a Zone 6 Parking Permit at the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police substation at 500 E Street, SE Washington, DC 20001 (good for two weeks) or at the District of Columbia’s Department of Motor Vehicles (good for six months and costing at least $300). You will be asked for proof of insurance and a letter or lease from the Registrar. Please send the following information to the Registrar two weeks ahead of planned arrival at firstname.lastname@example.org : color of automobile, year, make, model, and tag number and we will prepare a letter or lease for you to use in your attempt to obtain a parking permit.