May 18-22, 2015
Check back for applications!
" Our children were very excited to be part of the festival and are still talking about their experiences. Several are already thinking about the next text we should adapt."
Young students learn Shakespeare deeply and well. They engage with his language, characters, and plays by performing a scene, and they learn from the performances of others.
Every spring, hundreds of students in grades 3-6 are on our stage and in our Great Hall performing Shakespeare for one another. It's the Emily Jordan Folger Children's Festival!
The Festival is open to schools in the DC, Virginia, and Maryland metropolitan area. Audience participation, great performances, wild applause from parents and fans, guests visiting from the 17th century, and a memento to take home.
- Each group of students performs a scene or combination of scenes from any of Shakespeare's works.
- Cuts are permitted; modern language adaptations are not. Shakespeare's own words must be used.
- Each performance last between 10 and 20 minutes.
- The Festival day lasts from 9am to Noon. Four groups perform each day.
- Participating schools stay for the morning and serve as the audience members for other schools.
- Balcony seats especially saved for parents and other fans of our wonderful students!