Pie pan or bowl
Slice of cork
1. Fill the pie pan or bowl with water.
2. Add a few drops of liquid dish soap.
3. Get an adult to help you magnetize the needle. Carefully scrape it across the north end of the magnet, moving the needle from the eye to the point.
4. Repeat 15 times, scraping the needle in the same direction each time. Don't rub it back and forth!
5. Have an adult help you carefully poke the needle through the cork.
6. Float the cork in the middle of the pan or bowl.
7. The needle of the compass will point north!
Have fun exploring with your compass.