Darin Johnson, Ames High School, Ames, Iowa.
What's On for Today and Why
Students will get an introduction to King Lear by manipulating some of his lines and analyzing them for signs of the character's madness.
This activity will take one class period.
What You Need
Folger edition of King Lear
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
Handout of King Lear quotations.
Soft foam balls
King Lear Quotations
What To Do
1. Photocopy the attached handout, with different quotations from King Lear. Make enough copies so each student will get one quotation. Cut out the quotations and paste them on construction paper or cardstock.
2. Put students into groups of seven and divide a set of the seven quotations among the group members.
3. Give each group a soft foam ball and have them form a circle. Each group member should toss the ball to a person who is not to his/her immediate right or left. The person receiving the ball should say his/her line out loud upon catching the ball. Repeat the process until students are familiar with all of the lines.
4. Next, announce a rule change. Instead of having the ball catcher say a line, have the rest of the group recite the line as the ball is caught.
5. Have the students look for images in the lines that will help them decide the appropriate order of the quotations. Have them look for two transitions that Lear makes during the play: from regal to more real, and from sane to mad.
6. Have the students order themselves in a line representing the order they believe these lines appear in the play. Have each group read out their order to the rest of the class.
7. Reveal Shakespeare's order for these quotes, as listed below. Discuss the activity. What patterns can the students find in these lines? What clues led to a successful sequencing of the quotations? I think the world's asleep: 1.4.48-49.
Nothing can be made out of nothing: 1.4.136-137
Who is it that can tell me who I am: 1.4.236
O, let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven!...I would not be mad: 1.5.45-46.
'On my knees I beg that you'll vouchsafe me raiment, bed, and food': 2.4.175-176.
Our basest beggars are in the poorest thing superfluous: 2.4.305-306.
Allow not nature more than nature needs, man's life is cheap as beast's: 2.4.307-308.
8. Have students perform the speeches from which the quotations are taken.
How Did It Go?
Were students able to learn the lines easily? Were they able to sequence the quotes appropriately? Could they explain their logic? Did the meaning of the lines take on new significance once they were returned to their original context?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
You know, essay writing is not always easy. If you need essay writing help, turn to special-essays.com
Marsha August 29, 2014 5:11 AM
Small exclusive boutique hotels have become more popular among the well-to-do tourists than prominent hotel brands. Unlike eminent comfortable hotels distinguished by their uniformity, boutique hotels are prepared to offer a personalized approach to client's interests. juli August 8, 2014 2:32 AM
Small exclusive boutique hotels have become more popular among the well-to-do tourists than prominent hotel brands. Unlike eminent comfortable hotels distinguished by their uniformity, boutique hotels are prepared to offer a personalized approach to client's interests. juli August 8, 2014 2:31 AM
Thank you very much for the post
Sheila August 5, 2014 6:13 PM
Not all the critiques of the Partnership approach are positive however, as there are a number of key critics who derive their critiques from their experience of the issues which have faced Partnership within the voluntary and community sector in the Republic of Ireland. Out of three key analysts, le
sam July 24, 2014 6:36 AM
Advisors of students insurance in Arizona guide to people how to invest their money. They are experts who give knowledgeable advice. Qualified individuals that offer professional advice to clients are advisors. The advisor definition also refers to words such as counselor, specialist, authority, men
sam July 24, 2014 6:35 AM
Your post was good and the information that you giving your post that was really cool. I like it very much. Thanks for posting this. Please
share more information and I will bookmark to my blog sewa mobil jakarta
Steph June 12, 2014 6:19 AM
This is useful content. Irally apreciate it! Write My Dissertation Proposal
Jayda June 7, 2014 2:28 AM
Teaching professions is a noble profession and the teachers are the noble man of our society
http://www.topessaywriting.org/. Only a good teacher can make the society educated. In our life teachers place is after our parents. We should respects our teac
matthew January 26, 2014 8:03 PM