Newes from sea, of two notorious pyrats Ward the Englishman, and Danseker the Dutchman. London, 1609 (Detail)
Gregory Taylor, Hillside Junior High School, Boise, Idaho.
This lesson may be used before reading any Shakespeare play or sonnet.
What's On for Today and Why
Students will learn the basics of iambic pentameter by studying the rhythm of blank verse orally, aurally, visually, and kinesthetically.
This lesson will take one class period.
What You Need
What To Do
1. Using the attached document as an overhead template, review the idea of meter. Be sure to explain the idea of "feet", the smallest repeating ryhthmic units (in Shakespeare's case, the iamb is the metrical foot.) Also teach the word "iamb", a foot of two syllables with an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable.
2. Introduce the term "iambic pentameter". Have the students puzzle out the meaning through morphological analysis of the component parts "meter", "iambic" and "penta" - a five foot metrical line of weak followed by strong syllables.
3. Have students repeat a line of five "I am"'s with the emphasis on the "am" syllable. Explain that this is one way to remember the iambic rhythm. Practice saying some sentences that begin with "I AM" in a weak-STRONG pattern: "I AM a great student; I AM going to be nice to my little brother."
4. To really feel the iambic rhythm, get students up on their feet and say the next line, "I am a pirate with a wooden leg," dragging their wooden legs on the unstressed syllables and stepping strongly on the stressed syllables. Have students draw parentheses around the iambs and note that some divide in the middle of words: meter is about sound, not spelling.
5. Have students read some lines from the play you will be reading.
6. Finally, have students write their own iambic pentameter lines in pairs, as a conversation. Use the last two sentences on the handout as an example. After a few minutes, have some of the pairs perform their conversations. Be sure they understand how the meter works in this blank verse.
How Did It Go?
Can students explain and demonstrate iambic pentameter? Can they write proper lines of blank verse? Can they begin to see and understand some of the uses of meter in Shakespeare's writing?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
Open Clash Of Clans
Connect using settings with Google+ or Game Center
clash of clans hack
Fewser November 21, 2014 3:15 AM
Very impressive information thankyou for the posting and in future you write more this type of knowledge. ON Whey Gold 2lb Price in Karachi
Iram November 20, 2014 4:43 AM
Very impressive information thankyou for the posting and in future you write more this type of knowledge.
ON Whey 2lb Price in Karachi
Iram November 20, 2014 4:41 AM
Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us you can also visit me to Custom Essay writing. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. nathan November 17, 2014 1:02 PM
Thanks for write this informative post that it really helps me to custom essays online & Buy Essay Writing Help. I have bookmarked this website to check next update. Please keep up the good work.
herman November 17, 2014 12:57 PM
Saying the words easier than acting. Therefore, the wise man is one who is able to mebuktikkan expression
obat kutil kelamin manjur | harga obat kutil kelamin
infosehat November 14, 2014 11:31 PM
Thats a great idea of learning the basics of iambic pentameter.
Roger (Medical Assistant, USA
roger November 11, 2014 11:55 AM
you are not a real pirate if you dont have a wooden leg! malla ciclonica monterrey cercas monterrey reja de acero monterrey
abanesh November 10, 2014 6:55 PM
You will need to part it up into the same number of characterizations as you can think of it as, doesn't have any kind of effect if there is the same technique for settling one class stood out from a substitute. custom paper writing service
dber November 10, 2014 6:28 PM
This was very useful. You have many nice articles and so far it has all been very helpful.
Sky November 4, 2014 7:55 AM
Common Core State Standards
There are no standards associated with this Lesson Plan.
Note to Mozilla Firefox Users:
If the PDF documents are freezing, please try the following fix:
Go to Tools. Under Options click the Applications icon. Under Content Type, find Adobe Acrobat Document. Select Use Adobe Reader. If the option already says Use Adobe Reader, try changing the option to Use Adobe Acrobat.