Keith Muller, National Cathedral School, Washington, District of Columbia.
The Merchant of Venice 1.3
What's On for Today and Why
This lesson introduces students to the range of motivations and traits that make both Shylock and Antonio complex human beings with their own virtues and vices. Through close reading and performance of the conflict between the two in 1.3, students begin to consider the play's treatment not only of anti-Semitism but also of bigotry, persecution and mercy.
This lesson should take 1-2 class periods.
What You Need
Folger edition of The Merchant of Venice
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
What To Do
1. Divide the class into two groups. Assign one group to read 1.3 and write out three remarks by Antonio that indicate important traits of his personality. On the back of their paper or on another sheet, they should explain in one or two specific sentences what each mark reveals about Antonio. Assign the second group to do the same for Shylock. (This step could also be assigned as homework.)
2. After reading the scene (or to begin the class if reading was homework), students swap their remarks and explanation sheets with a classmate in their group. Students should look only at the quotes, not their explanations. Students should find the three remarks chosen by their classmate, read each remark in context, and write on the homework paper their own view of what each remark reveals about the character.
3. Ask students to return their homework to each other, read the new comments, and compare their responses with their partner. It will be especially useful for students to discuss differences of opinion.
4. Instruct the students to select one of the remarks they have chosen and to discuss with each other how the character would say the remark. Have them practice various ways of doing so, and select a gesture that the character might make as he speaks.
5. Select one side of the room for Shylocks and one for Antonios and ask students to sit on the proper side.
6. Ask students to read their lines aloud while seated, alternating between Shylock and Antonio and using a normal, non-dramatic reading voice. Next, ask them to stand away from their desks and speak the lines in character, as they have practiced. Students should not pause between remarks; the exchanges should flow like a conversation. Finally, have students repeat the exercise, adding their gestures. (It's all right if some lines are repeated—this will probably help, in fact, because it will clarify the remark's significance.)
7. Ask students to return to their desks and to write for five minutes about their impressions of Shylock and Antonio. Students should consider in particular any tensions or contradictions in each character.
8. Have students share their impressions. Direct these comments toward discussion of the characters' motivations and of the similarities and differences between Shylock and Antonio.
How Did It Go?
Have students understood the complexities and the humanity of both characters? Have they found meaningful similarities and differences between the two? Are students interested in the characters as human beings with diverse experiences, motivations, and hopes?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
friend is the most precious treasure
obat kanker ovarium
obat kelenjar getah bening di ketiak
obat herbal kelenjar getah bening di leher
cecep November 19, 2014 9:50 PM
obat gondok Ace maxs merupakan obat herbal yang terbuat dari kulit manggis dan extrak daun sirsak yang menjadi rekomendasi para dokter untuk mengobati penyakit gondok yang telah terbukti ampuh serta aman untuk di konsumsi dan tidak menimbulkan efek samping apapun.
obat gondok tradisional
sapnu November 18, 2014 2:21 AM
“ I found useful information on this topic as Now i’m working on an enterprise project. Thanks a lot posting relative information and its currently becoming easier to completely finish this project
obat kanker hati
sapnu November 17, 2014 9:22 AM
hay day hack
fitri November 16, 2014 8:05 AM
Every soul that is born has been embedded with seeds to reach the excellence of life. But the seeds will not grow if not dibajai with courage penyebab kutil di kelamin pria | penyebab kutil kelamin
infosehat November 14, 2014 5:49 AM
Good Job, Thank you for presenting a wide variety of information that is very interesting to see in this artikle clash of clans hack
fitri November 13, 2014 1:01 AM
It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet http://antiagingsolutionz.com/revitol-anti-aging-cream/
fitri November 13, 2014 1:01 AM
I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts http://www.gamezhacktool.com/2014/10/real-racing-3-hack-unlimited-gold-money.html
fitri November 13, 2014 1:00 AM
obat jantung koroner dengan menggunakan ICP kapsul dengan bahan herbal pilihan.
kevin October 25, 2014 6:19 AM
obat jantung koroner herbal Obat Tradisional Jantung Koroner amazon secara langsung memiliki efek anti-aterogenik yang dapat mencegah timbulnya Sakit Jantung Koroner. Pencegahan tahap sekunder ditujukan supaya mencegah datangnya
Denias September 16, 2014 9:23 PM