Kay Ryan , Arkansas City High School, Arkansas City, Kansas.
As You Like It 2.4
What's On for Today and Why
While students are accustomed to watching comedic films and television shows, analyzing humor in Shakespeare’s text is another matter. In this lesson, students will take a scene from As You Like It and examine it for its comedic appeal.
This lesson will take two to three class periods.
What You Need
New Folger As You Like It
The attached handouts:
As You Like it 2.4
Types of Comedy
What To Do
1. Begin with a discussion of comedy.
• Who are the “best” comedians today? What makes them funny?
• Discuss the tools of comedy: exaggeration, understatement, irony, word play. (Visit Dr. Kip Wheeler's online Dictionary of Literary Definitions .)
2. Lead this discussion into the character of Touchstone:
• Why are fools tolerated? Why are they allowed to say anything they want?
• How would Touchstone be dressed in a production of As You Like It in Shakespeare's time? How might he be dressed in a modern production? If you were directing the play, how would you costume Touchstone? How would Touchstone's costume add to his character?
3. Discuss the handout "Types of Comedy" (attached below). Discuss which types of comedy are present in the play so far.
4. Have students read As You Like It 2.4 together in class, using the New Folger edition or the handout attached below. Next divide the class into small groups of five.
5. In their groups, have students make a prompt book of As You Like It 2.4, using the attached worksheet. The prompt book is a guide for the staging of the play. Have students write notes in the white spaces of the pages, addressing how they think the characters should say their lines and move around the stage.
6. Have groups perform the scenes and discuss their performance choices.
7. Discuss which tools of comedy and which types of comedy are evident in the scene. Which of these are inherent in the text? Which are a result of the students' performance choices? Have students reflect further on these issues in their journals.
How Did It Go?
Did students make thoughtful choices in their prompt books and performances? Can they explain and defend these choices? Are they able to discuss the tools and types of comedy in the scene? Were they able to reflect on their choices and the elements of comedy in discussion and in their journals?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
lowes coupons I am really impressed by reading this article. Interesting post and I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about.
jack January 28, 2015 11:15 AM
Informed a great deal of new stuff here than anyone else .. neuroflexyn
david January 26, 2015 4:18 AM
NJ Prom Limousines Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first
jack January 25, 2015 2:27 PM
I had to do something. I bought An old road bike from craigs list and started riding a little every. - neuroflexyn review
david January 21, 2015 5:37 AM
Carpet Cleaning Service Champaign IL absolutely against the other minimal designs unique usually approach firmly about creating reputable scenarios any person, less likely might might be lots of people disprop
jack January 21, 2015 2:29 AM
PRX.im is a free web proxy that allows you to access certain websites that have been blocked for you due to restrictions by your internet connection, work, school or government.unblock youtube hd
peter January 20, 2015 6:39 AM
This publication is purposefully created to underline some of the issues ...cenaless
david January 18, 2015 2:17 AM
I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing..how do touch gloves work
peter January 17, 2015 4:42 AM
comedy in discussion and in their journals..micro usb drives
peter January 13, 2015 2:31 AM
Girlfriend Activation System (GFAS): Christian H. Reveals His Weirdly Effective, 3-Step "Obsession Story" System For Attracting And Dating Amazing Women...how to make a girl want you to be her boyfriend
asad January 10, 2015 10:49 AM