Larry Reiff teaches English at Roslyn High School and The Roslyn Hilltop Academy in Roslyn Heights, NY
What's On for Today and Why
Students will examine how tone and inflection help to shape the character of Hamlet. They will take a close look at Hamlet's reaction to the news that Horatio, Marcellus and Barnardo deliver.
What You Need
Folger edition of Hamlet
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
Access to Hamlet (1996) directed by Kenneth Branagh
Access to Hamlet (1990) directed by Franco Zeffirelli
What To Do
1. Have students summarize what they already know of Hamlet from the first half of 1.2.
2. Have students imagine how Hamlet will react to the news that Horatio has seen a ghost that bears a striking resemblance to Hamlet's dead father. Will he be shocked? Scared? Curious? Incredulous? Skeptical?
3. Have students do a read around of lines 133-281.(Have each student read until they reach a question mark, period or exclamation point). Discuss any difficult vocabulary.
4. On the board, write the phrase, " I didn't say he beat his dog". Have different students read the line, each one stressing a different word in the sentence. Discuss the effect changes in stress have on the meaning.
5. Divide the students into groups of 4-5 and have them focus on lines 1.2.199-200, re-reading it with different stress points as in step 4.
6. Have students discuss how the different stress patterns affect the meaning and our understanding of Hamlet's character? Have students play the line to reflect a variety of emotions.
7. Show the students the same lines from the Kenneth Branagh and Franco Zeffirelli versions of the movie.Have students discuss how the lines are delivered. How does each delivery affect our interpretation of Hamlet's character?
8. Encourage students to continue to seek out delivery options of key lines as they read the rest of the play.
How Did It Go?
What insights were the students able to gain into Hamlet's character through this activity? Were they able to explain how tone and inflection impact the meaning of a particular line? Were they able to suggest an interpretation of Hamlet's character so far that could be justified in the text?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
fitri November 16, 2014 8:05 AM
When you love a woman, it is very like editing a rose. Sometimes you could smell the roses, but sometimes you can feel it poking finger rose thorns obat kutil kelamin ampuh | obat untuk kutil kelamin
infosehat November 14, 2014 5:55 AM
visit here clash of clans hack tools free
fitri November 13, 2014 1:11 AM
fitri November 13, 2014 1:11 AM
obat usus buntu tradisional Thanks for your informations!
dadang November 5, 2014 5:35 AM
It's a very useful and interesting site. Thanks! festa monster high
Sheila October 13, 2014 5:54 PM
Old Spice Coupons
Traci October 6, 2014 7:14 AM
obat kanker hati Obat Alami Kanker Hati Terpercaya
Penyakit kanker merupakan penyakit yang paling membunuh dari jaman dulu sampai pada saat ini dan seperti yang kita ketahui hingga saat ini pun dunia medis dan para ilmuan peneliti
Derry September 16, 2014 8:31 PM
obat kanker prostat Obat Kanker Prostat Jus Kulit Manggis
Apakah anda tahu arti dari Kanker Prostat? Penyakit Kanker Prostat yakni salah satu penyakit kanker yang berkembang biak di bagian prostat, sebuah kelenjar dalam sistem rep
Derry September 16, 2014 8:30 PM
obat kanker kelenjar getah bening amazon Plus menyehatkan penderita kanker kelenjar getah bening
Mungkin Anda mencari obat tradisional kelenjar getah bening?? di sini solusinya, tempat utk penyembuhan kanker kelenjar
Derry September 16, 2014 8:29 PM