Gregg Long teaches English at Lake Park High School, Roselle, IL
Twelfth Night, 1.1.1-15
What's On for Today and Why
Using Orsino's speech and the skits devised in the previous lessons, the students will create a model video incorporating dialogue from the text.
This lesson will take a 45 minute class period, with possible video redubbing for homework.
What You Need
Folger edition of Twelfth Night
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
Orsino's speech handout 2
What To Do
1. Conduct a brief review of the opening scene that the students read for homework. Familiarity with the language is more important than complete understanding at this point.
2. Play the students the 45 second youtube clip of John Belushi in Animal House, available here (This clip is completely school appropriate-just make sure that no inappropriate user comments are visible)
3. After viewing the clip, have students refer to the Orsino speech handout as they watch the clip for a second time, this time without sound.
4. Have students underline words, passages or lines that they think they could squeeze into the scene and that would function reasonably well.
5. Play the clip one more time and in groups, have students prepare to overdub the clip using Orsino's speech. This can be done as a class, or if the technology is available, the clip can be placed on a common network or file-sharing device, and students can use Audacity or iMovie to overdub the clip individually. Remind students that they can rearrange the lines however they wish, as long as they do not change the words, add their own words or otherwise alter the meaning.
How Did It Go?
The original meaning of Shakespeare's text will inevitably be distorted and taken out of context. However, is the language being used effectively within the context of the scene? Are students grasping nuances and subtexts in Orsino's speech?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
This can be done as a class, or if the technology is available.
buying real instagram likes
Alex January 15, 2015 1:47 AM
I've recently been talking about this article with a number of close friends. I‘m happy to see that you've shared this, once again, an excellent article from you guys!
Electric Gates Cheshire
Hannah January 9, 2015 6:36 AM
Following viewing the show, have got college students refer to the Orsino conversation handout since they check out the show for just a subsequent occasion, now with no appear. ID Card Printers
monu December 18, 2014 6:44 AM
After read a couple of the articles on your website these few days, and I truly like your style of blogging. I tag it to my favorites internet site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site also and let me know what you think. Channel Bola
meela December 7, 2014 11:34 PM
Great post, thanks for sharing!
Find out more about Cheshire Coffee Shops here
Joe November 28, 2014 5:26 AM