Louisa Newlin taught high school English for more than 40 years. She wrote "Nice Guys Finish Dead: Teaching Henry IV, Part I in High School" for the Shakespeare Set Free series. She leads workshops on sonnets for teachers.
Gigi Bradford, former director of the NEA Literature Program and Folger Poetry Series, currently teaches the Folger's "Shakspeare's Sisters" seminar.
Shakespeare’s Sonnet 138
What's On for Today and Why
This is a short lesson which can either start off Lesson 6, which usually takes 20-25 minutes, or, time permitting, be appended to Lesson 4.
Sonnet 138, accessible and witty, is usually a favorite with students as it is about love, trust, male-female relationships, and (obliquely) sex.
What You Need
Copies of Shakespeare’s Sonnet 138 (A copy can also be found in Lesson 4). Again, the teacher should have a copy of the New Folger edition of Shakespeare’s Sonnets or other annotated edition, even if the students do not.
Sonnet 138, Shakespeare
What To Do
1. Have students read the text aloud in four groups, one for each quatrain and one for the couplet. This emphasizes the structure of the poem, which, unlike Sonnet 130 read in the previous lesson, has a clear volta between octave and sestet.
2. Ask students what is going on in the poem. To whom do they imagine the poet is speaking? How would they describe the relationship between the two lovers?
3. Check with students to make sure they understand the meaning/sense of “untutored” “vainly,” “simply,” “credit,” “unjust” – all the words that we still use but which have other meanings now. They should have no trouble getting the pun in the couplet.
4. Discuss: How does the wit and humor in this sonnet compared to that in Sonnet 130? Are there differences in tone? In what ways can both be said to be “Anti-Petrarchan”?
5. Sonnets 127-152 are often referred to as the “Dark Lady” sonnets. Ask students to write responses to the following questions in their journals: Do you think that Sonnets 130 and138 are about the same woman? Why or why not? Share these responses. If students did the suggested homework for this lesson (writing on the importance of the trust in relationships) these could be shared now.
How Did It Go?
Were students able to explicate the sonnet without much difficulty?
Are they increasingly comfortable reading Shakespeare?
Did they enjoy reading and discussing the poem?
Do they express interest in reading more sonnets?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
Physicians usually suggest them if only your BMI is 30 or better, or maybe it's at least 27 and you have a disorder that may be linked to weight, like type two diabetes or hypertension.
Dan September 1, 2014 5:12 PM
Sonnets 127-152 are often referred to as the “Dark Lady” sonnets. I think they are the most beautiful and fascinating ones.
Dan September 1, 2014 4:03 AM
Have individuals read the text message aloud in four teams, just one per health quatrain and one for the couplet. This draws attentions to the dwelling with the poem, which, as opposed to Sonnet 130 read through in the earlier training, has a very clear volta
Dan August 29, 2014 1:58 PM
How does the wit and humor in this sonnet compared to that in Sonnet 130? I think there are major differences between the two sonnets, the second on is faster and more fragile.
Dan August 28, 2014 6:08 PM
You are so right - an excellent article!
Dan August 26, 2014 2:06 PM
Are you sure about it? Is it really that simple? healthy as one
Dan August 22, 2014 8:29 AM
Shakespeare's Sonnet 138 is indeed very interesting and educational!
Jimmy Sandoski August 11, 2014 8:02 AM
Thank you very much for the post
Sheila August 5, 2014 6:12 PM
Therefore today we all know what becomes on ladies. What might trigger these sites.google.com disgrace? I will inform you that isn't the situation if you were to think this short article is proceeding toward.
Jame July 26, 2014 3:56 PM
The things we have written that is nice for other as well, we are try to write more best information.
Buy High PageRank BackLinks
mohan July 24, 2014 1:03 PM