Dr. Barbara Cobb is the Associate Professor, English and Education Coordinator, Murray Shakespeare Festival at Murray State University, Kentucky
What's On for Today and Why
This lesson explores Shakespeare’s Sonnet 130.
Students will recognize the way that Shakespeare uses contrast to describe the speaker’s “mistress” in the poem and to explain why she is “rare” or uniquely beautiful.
The lesson covers parts of speech, as well as imagery terms: visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, organic, kinesthetic.
This unit covers 4th Grade Common Core Standards for Reading Literature 1,2,4,5,6, Foundational Skills 3,4, Writing Standards 1,3, as well as a number of the Language standards.
This lesson may be completed in a 90-minute class period, with additional time allotted for revision and peer editing, or it may be divided into several shorter lessons.
What You Need
Sonnet 130 Lesson Plan Notes
Copies of Sonnet 130 Mad Libs form
Copies of Sonnet 130 Fill In Sheet
Sonnet 130, Folger Edition
Sonnet 130 Lesson Plan Notes
Sonnet 130 4th Grade Fill In
Sonnet 130 Mad libs Form
What To Do
1. Introduce the Sonnet: Explain what differentiates a sonnet from other forms of poetry. Read the sonnet, pausing between quatrains to break down the quatrains by asking the questions below.Throughout the reading, ask students to identify each image: visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, organic, kinesthetic.
- First quatrain: Students should be encouraged to recognize the contrasts that the speaker makes in the first four lines. What does the subject of the poem look like? How do we know?
- Second quatrain: What contrasts are made? What does the speaker say about the subject’s “cheeks” and “breath”?
- Third quatrain: What contrasts are made? This is a good time to turn the conversation to stereotypes of beauty. What stereotypes does the speaker introduce? How does the speaker “explode” those stereotypes, or demonstrate the falsity of them? What is the speaker saying about the subject?
- Rhyming couplet: Have students define “rare” and “belied” using context clues. What is the speaker’s point?
2. Explain that this poem is a blazon, a description of the subject referring to particular body parts. How many parts are described? What comparisons are used? Review with the students the definiton of simile. Choose a few and play with other similes: His/her eyes are like what? Which similes create a positive image? Which similes create a negative image?
3. Students will move to a poetry-writing workshop. First they will work in teams on a “mad libs”-type activity, creating nonsense poems using Sonnet 130 as a template. Then they will use the same template to write their own contrast poems.
4.Divide students into groups of two or three. If needed, review the parts of speech included on the "mad-lib" word fill-in handout. Do NOT tell them that this activity is based on Sonnet 130! Have students fill in words.
5.Hand out the Sonnet 130 template with the blanks. Have the students fill in the blanks using their word fill-in handout. Have them read their “Mad-Libs”-type poems. Usually these are VERY funny. Ask them WHY the poems are funny.
6. Finally, give them another clean Sonnet 130 template. This time, ask them to choose a subject and to create a poem about that subject. The goal is to choose words that will make this poem make sense! (Be flexible with the template - encourage them to make subtle changes to it as needed, in order to make their own poems make sense. Give them ownership of the form as they need it!)
Try including a drawing exercise, in which students draw a creature and use similes to describe several of its parts. The creature could be an alien, a robot, or an imaginary pet!
How Did It Go?
Do students recognize the stereotypes of beauty that are often praised?
Do they recognize that most people do not fit these stereotypes, but are still wonderful?
Was each student able to use contrasts to describe a subject?
Were students able to use parts of speech properly, both in the “Mad-Libs”-type exercise and in their own poems?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
Android Apps Development Dubai Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I
jack December 22, 2014 2:57 AM
Thai food in Liverpool I would like to thank you for your nicely written content, its useful and your writing style helped me to read it without any difficulty. Thanks
jack December 19, 2014 9:42 AM
I think more people need to read blogs like this. Its so important to know how to construct a great blog to get people interested and you've done just that. Whirlpool range repair
Erina December 15, 2014 11:17 PM
Cara Mengobati Kutil Kelamin
Obat Kutil Kelamin Untuk Wanita
Obat Kutil Kelamin Untuk Pria
warta December 15, 2014 5:38 PM
Cara Menyembuhkan Kutil Kelamin
Cara Mengatasi Kutil Kelamin
warta December 15, 2014 5:38 PM
NJ PARTY BUSES Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you are a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back very soon. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your grea
jack December 15, 2014 12:21 PM
LIMO QUOTES Very informative and trustworthy blog does exactly what it sets out to do. I’ll bookmark your weblog for future use.
jack December 14, 2014 9:53 AM
EZGO Golf Cart Covers Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you are a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back very soon
jack December 14, 2014 3:45 AM
High editorial standards in medicine have led to the idea of expert moderated wikis.Some wikis allow one to link to specific versions of articles, which has been useful to the scientific community.
Dion December 11, 2014 11:35 AM
Cara Mengobati Kutil Kelamin Pada Pria dengan mengunakan obat kutil kelamin herbal sehingga tanpa Operasi sembuh total karena saya sangat takut apabila mendengar kata operasi apakah ada pengobatan kutil kelamin yang dapat dicegah dari rumah untuk menyingkirkannya? Apa ada perawatan yang baik untuk kutil kelamin manjur apakah ada solusi alami dalam perawatan yang tersedia untuk memperlakukan kutil dengan sendiri? Mungkin ini semua pertanyaan yang mungkin Anda pertanyakan pada diri Anda sendiri jika saat ini Anda memilki kutil Berikut dibawah ini pembahasan dari cara mengobati kutil kelamin tanpa operasi dengan menggunakan obat kutil kelamin tradisional paling manjur aman bagi ibu yang sedang hamil ataupun untuk ibu yang sedang menyusui segera kontak kami untuk mendapatkan obat kutil kelamin terbaik de nature serta paling manjur cara mengobati kanker payudara dengan menggunakan obat kanker payudara paling manjur terbuat dari daun keladi tikus sarang semut serta dari daun sirsak insyaalah tanpa operasi kanker payudara dapat sembuh dengan cepat | obat wasir wasir | obat kutil kelamin segera kontak kami untuk mendapatkan pengobatan yang terbaik dari klinik herbal de nature
robi December 10, 2014 4:20 AM