Rebecca Hranj teaches English at Joppatowne High School in Joppa, MD
Twelfth Night, entire play
What's On for Today and Why
Students will apply ancient definitions of the term "fool" to the characters in the play in order to discuss how all of the major characters make fools of themselves. They will then build on this discussion, connecting it to their own personal experiences and back to characters in the play.
This lesson will take approximatley 90 minutes, not including time to work with technology.
What You Need
Folger edition of Twelfth Night
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
"Everybody plays the Fool" handout
Computer with internet access
Everybody Plays the Fool
What To Do
1. Ask students to define or give an example of a proverb. Share samples of proverbs from different cultures. Use the samples to create a class definition of a proverb.
2. Explain that in the Bible, the Book of Proverbs points out five different types of fools.While we look at Feste as the fool of this play, by the biblical definitions, many other characters can be considered fools as well.
3. Distribute the handout, "Everybody Plays the Fool" and discuss the different types of fools, noting the similarities and differences among them.
4. Have students work in small groups to decide which characters are fools.
5. Have students discuss their choices as a class, justifying responses with examples from the text.
6. Have students complete a focused free write about a time in which they acted foolishly. They should explain what they learned from the experience, both about themselves as people, and about how to behave in the future.
7. Assign students to use this free writing activity as the basis for an autobiographical essay in the medium of their choice. They may create a PowerPoint, Photostory, digital comic, etc., showing the story of their experience, what they learned from it, what type of fool they were, and which Twelfth Night character they identify with as a result.
8. As an alternative to #7, students could be assigned to work in small groups with a selected scene from the play, and present their scene as the fool they learned about in the handout.
8. Have students present their autobiographical essay or selected scene to the class.
9. Debrief after the presentations:
Which type(s) of fool were most common in the students' stories and/or scenes? Which type(s) of fools are likeable? Which are not? Which characters do students appear to identify with most? Which type of fool best fit the character portrayed in the scene?
How Did It Go?
Were the students able to define a proverb?
Were students able to connect a character to each type of fool using textual evidence?
Were students able to write about a time when they acted foolishly?
Did students use multimedia to present their personal experiences?
Did students connect their personal experience back to a character in the text?
This activity would make a good segue into a college application essay. It can be adapted to most of Shakespeare's comedies, most notably Love's Labor's Lost, A Midsummer Night's Dream, or Much Ado About Nothing
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
what to do in vero beach I totally love this. You have laid out the perfect font in this article! Everything in this article is simply great and I couldn't have asked for a better article than this
jack January 24, 2015 4:59 AM
Dubai desert safari rates This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck.
jack January 22, 2015 12:30 PM
free Stargate ebooks It is just what I was looking for and quite thorough as well. Thanks for posting this, I saw a couple other similar posts but yours was the best so far. The ideas are strongly pointed out and cle
jack January 22, 2015 3:17 AM
your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them....free vpn service
peter January 20, 2015 6:20 AM
?????? ???????? This short article is perfect! If just one had been to purchase an argument on the authentication of this post, I believe that you would have to throw of your energy because this article is ideal in addition to every indiv
jack January 19, 2015 11:23 AM
Webdesign Landshut I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have
jack January 17, 2015 5:00 AM
Very nice and great job.
guest House jogja | tiket Pesawat
Arduan January 15, 2015 10:47 PM
Extremely fascinating post and exceptionally breathtaking, I trust you will continue redesigning for the useful article, this is incredible for the individuals to think about this.
BBB ao vivo
Futebol ao vivo
marcos January 8, 2015 12:57 PM
Thanks buddy for the article Valentine Week List 2015 also Anti Valentines day Quotes 2015
Prakash January 7, 2015 6:29 AM
Obat Kutil Kelamin Untuk Wanita
Obat Kutil Kelamin Untuk Pria
Cara Menyembuhkan Kutil Kelamin
Cara Mengatasi Kutil Kelamin
tina January 1, 2015 10:43 PM