Kristyn Rosen teaches English at North Plainfield High School, North Plainfield, NJ
Jill Burdick-Zupancic teaches English at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, Alexandria, VA
Please note that this lesson is easily adaptable for many of Shakespeare's plays as long as there are fine art images available to support the selected scene.
Romeo and Juliet-the balcony scene
Hamlet- Ophelia's death
Check out LUNA-the Folger's free online database.
What's On for Today and Why
- Explore the basic elements of art and principles of design
- Use visual clues in art to analyze visual clues in performance
- Interpret visual clues in a selection of fine art that correlate to a selected scene from Othello
What You Need
- Projector/Smart Boad to display slides
- Power Point "Elements of Art and Principles of Design"
- Slides of selected images
What is also helpful:
Printed copies of the PPT or giving students definitions of the terms.
Access to LUNA
Elements of Art and Principles of Design
What To Do
1. Show or Distribute Handout of the Power Point, "Elements of Art and Principles of Design" and go through the fine art vocabulary:
color, value, proportion, balance.
2. Explain to the students that an understanding of these terms will help them "decode" a work of art. For example, the terms define the elements of art which are building blocks for a picture, and the principles of design are how the blocks are laid out to build the picture.
3. Display the slide "Nighthawks", by Edward Hopper on the screen*
4. Start a discussion by asking students questions :
Wht do you see?
What does the color add to the painting?
What colors are dominant?
How does value (new vocabulary term meaning the artist's use of relative light/dark areas) affect the piece?
How does the proportion and balance of the piece affect your interpretation of the work?
* "Nighthawks" was selected because it is a representational image that lends itself to aesthetic reading. Feel free to substitute.
5. Have students select words from the fine art vocabulary list and discuss each element and how it relates to the image being displayed. Have students point out where in the image they see these elements (eg. where do they notice variations in color, or specific dominant colors?)
6. Divide students in groups of 2 or 3.
7. Review how to read a painting and then allow students 5-7 minutes to create a narrative based on their reading of "Nighthawks".
8. Have each group share their narrative, making sure they can support it with visual clues utllizing new fine art vocabulary.
9. Closing/Reflection-Ask each student to complete the sentence,
"Today I learned that...."
10. In preparation for Day 2, have students read Othello, 5.2
How Did It Go?
Were students able to understand the fine art vocabulary?
Could they apply these terms to the piece of art work?
Were they able to create a narrative that relected their understanding of the elements of art and the principles of design?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
fitri November 16, 2014 8:04 AM
I just want to say thanks for your wonderful post, it is contain a lot of knowledge and information that i needed right now. You really help me out my friend, thanks ! For more information about friv game, visit friv 2014
songji November 15, 2014 2:02 PM
artikel is goog Empty the contents and the contents are empty. This life is an illusion and illusion can only be realized through this life..
penyebab kutil kelamin pria | penyebab penyakit kutil kelamin
infosehat November 14, 2014 11:15 PM
Not handsome did not matter, because the male lead is not with beauty but with responsibility, wisdom and role models obat kutil kelamin | obat kutil kelamin apotik
infosehat November 14, 2014 8:43 AM
This was the best website with lot useful information for the reader. Thanks for shring the post and keep the good works. You are the best, god bless you. Read our traveling blog :
Bali Tours, Bali Tour Driver, Best Bali Tour, Bali Full Day Tour, Bali Half Day Tour, Bali Combination Tour, Bali Adventure Tour, Bali Car Charter, Bali Day Tours, Bali Driver, Amazing Bali Driver, Bali Tours Service
Wayan November 10, 2014 4:31 PM
I wanted to state that it is good to find out in which somebody else additionally talked about that as i received difficulties finding the same details in other places. This is the primary area in which explained the answer.www.bestrecliner.net
Jahirul November 7, 2014 4:59 PM
Wonderful site and I wanted to post a note to let you know, ""Good job""! I’m glad I found this blog. Brilliant and wonderful job! Your blog site has presented me most of the strategies which I like.http://www.foottherapy.net/
Jahirul November 7, 2014 4:58 PM
This is a really great post I found some really good information here I've got lots of followers on twitter and I will tell all of them about this as I really think it's great information that more people should see keep up the good work be back again soon. http://www.bestcrossfitshoe.net/
Jahirul October 28, 2014 4:03 AM
Hi, I'm so excited that I have found this your post because I have been searching for some information about it almost three hours. You helped me a lot indeed and reading this your article I have found many new and useful information about this subject. Thanks for sharing this!http://www.bestairriflereview.net/
Jahirul October 28, 2014 4:03 AM
This is a terrific article, and I would like more information if you have any. I am fascinated with this topic and your post has been one of the best I have read. Melbourne Wallpaper Suppliers
Jahirul October 27, 2014 6:18 AM