Cicily Coney teaches English at Dr. Phillips High School, Orlando, FL
The Merchant of Venice 1.1, 1.3, 2.5, 3.1
What's On for Today and Why
- Examine the insider/outsider dynamic in the play, specifically focusing on language
- Conduct a close reading of specific scenes, noting the langauage and actions that determine the insider/outsider relationships
- Perform selected scenes
What You Need
Folger editions of The Merchant of Venice
Analyzing the Power of Language
What To Do
1. Divide students into groups and assign or allow them to select a scene from the list on Handout.
2. Allow students time to read the scene through.
3. Have students discuss the following questions:
What relationship is being presented in this scene?
What language establishes the insider/outsider dynamic?
What do characters say that establishes who has the upper hand?
4. Have students underline or highlight the language that defines the action of scene.
4. Have students complete the charts on the handout, Analyzing the Power of Language and allow some time for a class discussion of their findings.
5. Have students prepare their scene for performance, ensuring that the relationships and dynamic is clearly demonstrated.
6. Have each group perform and applause each other's efforts.
Note- Acting ability is not the criteria but ability to recognize the language Shakespeare uses to build tension in a relationship.
7. Have students write a one sentence summary of their findings.
How Did It Go?
Were students able to identify the insider/outsider dynamic in their selected scene?
This activity can be used with several other of
Shakespeare's plays: Othello, The Tempest, A Winter's Tale, Twelfth Night, King Lear. It can also work well with works such as A Lesson Before Dying, The Crucuible, They Eyes Were Watching God, Of Mice and Men, and The Great Gatsby.
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
thank you very helpful information to keep the spirit obat radang paru paru
cecep November 26, 2014 11:19 PM
thank you for the information obat darah tinggi tradisional
cecep November 26, 2014 11:17 PM
have a nice day happy day on the road every day, thanks for the info obat radang rahim
cecep November 26, 2014 11:15 PM
I was very impressed with the article, all of its exciting and rewarding to read obat tradisional sakit pinggang
cecep November 26, 2014 11:14 PM
article very helpful thanks obat benjolan di ketiak alami
cecep November 26, 2014 11:13 PM
thank you very much admin on infoinfo may be useful to all who read it obat gonore tradisional
cecep November 26, 2014 11:11 PM
The information you have posted is very useful Zombie World War mod APK Download
fitri November 26, 2014 1:39 AM
Do not ask when, but a miracle will come over to people who always do their best for themselves and others
obat kutil kelamin alami | obat kutil kelamin terbaik
infosehat November 14, 2014 11:20 PM
Best German Cars Nice post guys
paul November 12, 2014 11:41 AM
Awesome post, nice work. paul November 12, 2014 11:40 AM