Attend the One-Day Workshop on March 11, 2017
Are you looking for ways to engage all students in close, rigorous, joyful reading of Shakespeare’s language? Do you want to learn tested strategies for teaching all kinds of complex texts? Would you like to spend a day collaborating with Folger staff and wildly inquisitive colleagues from a variety of schools?
Join us for a one-day teacher workshop at the Folger Shakespeare Library.
About the Workshop:
Work with text from Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Hamlet, Othello, Twelfth Night, and other plays. Learn how to use the Folger’s massive Shakespeare collection—the largest in the world—and digital resources in the middle and high school classroom. Experience firsthand the successful Folger techniques that get students reading actively and deeply, asking good questions, enjoying words and ideas, and taking risks that lead to deep learning.
Drawing on the Folger’s unique resources in scholarship, performance, and classroom practice, this hands-on workshop will also model how to sequence learning in a Shakespeare unit, and in ways that are relevant to and inclusive of students from all backgrounds. We are honored to be able to support the work that you do to empower students to read, speak, listen, and write thoughtfully and adventurously.
Workshop participants will walk away
- More confident and capable in their teaching.
- More connected to Shakespeare and his language.
- Skilled in the Folger approach to teaching Shakespeare and other texts.
- With strategies and materials that teachers and students love.
- With access to the Folger as a new partner and champion for improved classroom practice.
Saturday, March 11, 2017
Folger Shakespeare Library, 201 East Capitol Street, SE, Washington, DC 20002
Dr. Peggy O’Brien, Director of Education, and Corinne Viglietta, Assistant Director of Education
How to register:
Online registration is now open. All interested classroom teachers are welcome! Total cost per teacher is $50. Online payment reserves your place in the workshop and is non-refundable. Act fast—space is limited.
- A jam-packed day of experiential professional learning,
- Collaboration with all kinds of teaching colleagues, and
- Loads of resources and handouts!
Please contact Corinne Viglietta (email@example.com).