Application Guidelines for "Shakespeare: From the Globe to the Global"
Before preparing your application, please carefully review the NEH application and eligibility guidelines, selection criteria. All applications for "Shakespeare: From the Globe to the Global" should be submitted to the Folger Institute, not the NEH.
We will accept applications either through our online application process or through the mail. The application deadline is 1 March 2011; if the application is submitted by mail, 1 March is the postmarked deadline.
Regardless of submission method, required application components are:
1) A completed NEH application cover sheet (found on the NEH’s website at this address: https://securegrants.neh.gov/education/participants/).
- Once you have submitted this cover sheet to the NEH, either print a hard copy or save it as a PDF to submit with your application to the Folger Institute.
2) A detailed curriculum vitae (not to exceed five pages).
3) A brief application essay (of no more than four, double-spaced pages) that
- Addresses your reasons for applying to “Shakespeare: From the Globe to the Global”;
- Describes your qualifications, including ongoing research interests, to do the work of the institute and make a contribution to it;
- Discusses what you hope to accomplish; and
- Describes the relation of the topic to your teaching.
4) Two letters of reference (see below for more details).
How to Apply: Online or Mail
The Folger Institute will accept “Shakespeare: From the Globe to the Global” applications either through the online application process or through the mail.
Those applying online should use the form found at www.folger.edu/institute/NEHApplication. The form provides the applicant with fields to attach the completed NEH application cover sheet, the curriculum vitae, and the application essay. Two letters of reference will need to be mailed separately to Dr. Lynch’s address below. The receipt deadline for online applications is 1 March 2011.
Those applying through the mail should send three complete, collated copies of the components to:
Dr. Kathleen Lynch, Executive Director
The Folger Institute
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003-1094
The postmark deadline for mailed applications is 1 March 2011.
Letters of Reference
All applicants will need to arrange for two letters of reference to be submitted on their behalf. The two referees may be from inside or outside the applicant’s home institution. Referees should be familiar with the applicant’s professional accomplishments or promise, teaching and/or research interests, and ability to contribute to and benefit from participation in the summer institute. All referees should be provided with the description of the summer institute and the applicant’s essay; the Folger Institute will not contact referees directly to solicit letters and will not forward an applicant’s materials to a referee.
All letters must be from an institutional email address or on preprinted letterhead signed by the referee. If applying via the online application process, please ask your referees to mail hard copies of their letters directly to Dr. Lynch’s address above or email copies from an institutional email address to email@example.com. If applying by hard-copy, please ask each referee to sign across the seal on the back of the envelope containing his or her letter and enclose the letters with your application.
If you have any questions about the application process or difficulty in accessing the online form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.675.0333.