Folger Education has partnered with the Saint Mary’s College Education Department for a symposium aimed at those college folks who do the heavy lifting of preparing students to be effective English teachers. The weekend will be filled with hands-on workshops, presentations, working sessions, and panel discussions on effective ways to integrate Shakespeare into methods classes. Participants will learn how to mentor and inspire their students to overcome previous negative classroom experiences with Shakespeare.
September 21-23, 2017
Saint Mary’s College in Notre Dame, Indiana.
Faculty and Presenters
- Terri Suico is an Assistant Professor of Education at Saint Mary’s College. She taught HS English in Nashville, TN.
- Michael LoMonico is the Senior Consultant on National Education for the Folger. He was a high school ELA teacher and an English Methods Instructor at Stony Brook University.
- Corinne Viglietta is Assistant Director of Education at the Folger. She taught high school English in DC, Maryland, and France, and served as clinical faculty for Notre Dame’s program on teaching English as a new language.
- Rick Vanderwall has worked as an educator at the middle, high and university levels for forty years. He currently serves as a faculty member in in the Department of Languages and Literatures specializing in English education at the University of Northern Iowa.
- Nicole Galante is the Director of English Education at Stony Brook University. She taught high school English in NY and was the Editorial Assistant for the English Journal.
- Peter Holland (Keynote Speaker) is Associate Dean for the Arts and McMeel Family Professor in Shakespeare Studies at the University of Notre Dame. He was Director of the Shakespeare Institute at Stratford-upon-Avon and Professor in Shakespeare Studies at the University of Birmingham before coming to Notre Dame in 2002.
The registration fee is $325 and includes dinner on Thursday, continental breakfast on Friday and Saturday, lunch on Friday, and all symposium materials. To register, follow this link.
Housing and Travel
Housing will be available for a reduced price of $99 at the Inn at Saint Mary’s a boutique hotel on the campus of Saint Mary’s. The South Bend Airport is 15 minutes from the campus and Chicago Midway is about a 90-minute ride.
Questions? Please contact Michael LoMonico (firstname.lastname@example.org)