Our Children’s Shakespeare Festival will be taking a vacation this year! We will take a year off in 2017—the first in 37 years—and we will be back in force in spring 2018. Look for young students on stage, along with the original Queen Elizabeth of course, next spring. Information and application materials will be posted in January 2018.
You're never too young for Shakespeare. In fact, young students are some of the most enthusiastic Shakespeare scholars.
Every spring, the Emily Jordan Folger Children's Shakespeare Festival brings hundreds of students in grades 3–6 together on our stage to perform Shakespeare for one another. Students engage with Shakespeare's language, characters, and plays by performing a scene, and they learn from the performances of others.
The Festival, which is open to schools in the DC, Virginia, and Maryland metropolitan area, features audience participation, great performances, wild applause from parents and fans, a special guest from Shakespeare's time, and memories that will last a lifetime.
At the Folger Children's Festival:
- Each group of students performs a scene or combination of scenes from any of Shakespeare's works.
- Use Shakespeare's words! Free online texts available at Folger Digital Texts. Cuts are permitted.
- Each performance lasts between 10 and 20 minutes.
- The Festival day lasts from 9 am to approximately 12:30 pm. Five groups perform each day.
- Participating schools stay for the morning and serve as the audience members for other schools.
- We save the balcony seats for parents and other fans of our wonderful students!
Register for the Children's Festival
Check in January 2018 back for the 2018 Emily Jordan Folger Children's Shakespeare Festival.