All fellowship applications must be made through the Folger online application portal.
Review the Rules and Requirements before applying.
To apply for a 2021-2022 Folger Research Fellowship, please submit the following:
- 250-word abstract of your project.
- 1,500-word description of your project, emphasizing your proposed topic’s importance, its relevance to a field of study either broadly supported by, or in conversation or critique with, the Folger Library’s collections and programs, emphasizing the originality and sophistication of its approach. Please describe the work you hope to undertake with a justification of why and how this agenda will advance your project. In 2021-2022, Folger fellowships will support the many kinds of work which are necessary when we undertake collections-based research: access to digital resources, reproduction and permissions fees for images of rare materials at libraries and archives, time to organize notes and images, support for work-life balance, support for time to write.
- Two-page CV.
- Two letters of recommendation. You will identify your recommenders in the online application portal. Your recommenders will be contacted directly via the online portal and will be given guidance on how to upload their letters.
It is helpful to start your online application early. You can revise your application at any point in the process right up to the deadline. You must hit the “submit” button for your application to be complete.
Applicants are encouraged to make their own best cases to pursue their research. In 2021-2022, travel is not required for Folger Fellowships. Here are some scenarios an applicant might propose:
- A researcher requests access to select electronic resources or databases while working from home.
- A researcher requests funds to pay for reproduction and permissions fees for images of rare materials.
- A researcher requests support for caregiving while researching or writing.
- A researcher requests support for time to organize notes and images collected during past visits to libraries and archives.
- A researcher notes how fellowship support will relieve them of the need for summer or adjunct teaching.