All fellowship applications must be made through the Folger online application portal.
Review the Rules and Requirements before applying.
To apply for a 2020-20201 Folger Research Fellowship, please submit the following:
- 250-word abstract of your project.
- 1,500-word description of your project, emphasizing your proposed topic’s importance, its relevance to a field of study broadly supported by the Folger Library’s collections and programs, and the originality and sophistication of its approach. Please describe the proposed location(s) of your work – either at home or abroad – with a justification of why and how this agenda will advance your project. Scholars may articulate their need for collections-based research, access to digital resources, and/or time for writing.
- A one-to-two page list of the materials you wish to consult during your fellowship; this can include databases, electronic resources, or media.
- Two-page CV.
- Two letters of recommendation. You will identify your recommenders in the online application portal. Your recommenders will be contacted directly via the online portal and will be given guidance on how to upload their letters.
It is helpful to start your online application early. You can revise your application at any point in the process right up to the deadline. You must hit the “submit” button for your application to be complete.
Applicants are encouraged to make their own best cases to pursue their research at a place of their choosing. But here are some scenarios an applicant might propose:
- A researcher is planning a trip to multiple archives in order to consult a range of rare materials, all in one trip.
- A researcher requests access to select electronic resources while writing from home.
- A researcher needs the dedicated time to work with a local collection.
- A researcher wishes to conduct research at a repository which is non-traditional, under-funded, or under-utilized.