All applications for 2022–2023 fellowships are due by 11:59pm ET on 18 January 2022. All applications must be submitted through the Folger's online portal.
Review the Rules and Requirements before applying.
To apply for a 2022–2023 Folger Research Fellowship, please submit the following:
- 250-word abstract of your project.
- 1,500-word description of your project, emphasizing your proposed topic’s importance, its relevance to a field of study either broadly supported by, or in conversation or critique with, the Folger’s collections and programs, emphasizing the originality and sophistication of its approach. Please describe the work you hope to undertake with a justification of why and how this agenda will advance your project. In 2022–2023, Folger fellowships will support the many kinds of work which are necessary when we undertake collections-based research: access to digital resources, reproduction and permissions fees for images of rare materials at libraries and archives, time to organize notes and images, support for work-life balance, support for time to write.
- Two-page CV.
- Two letters of recommendation. You will identify your recommenders in the online application portal. Your recommenders will be contacted directly via the online portal and will be given guidance on how to upload their letters. Anyone is eligible to act as a recommender: artists, scholars, teachers, colleagues. We recognize that, due to the global pandemic, we are all under unique and significant pressures. Letters of recommendation are very helpful to interdisciplinary selection committees as they work to understand how a project fits within its field. Applications may be disadvantaged, but they are not rendered ineligible if they are missing letter(s) of recommendation.
It is helpful to start your online application early. You can revise your application at any point in the process right up to the deadline. You must hit the “submit” button for your application to be complete.
Applicants are encouraged to make their own best cases for support to pursue their research. In 2022–2023, travel is not required for Folger Fellowships. Here are some scenarios an applicant might propose:
- A researcher requests access to select electronic resources or databases while working from home.
- A researcher notes how fellowship support will relieve them of the need for summer or adjunct teaching.
- A researcher requests funds to pay for reproduction and permissions fees for images of rare materials.
- A researcher requests support for caregiving while researching or writing.
- A researcher needs dedicated time to organize notes and images collected during past visits to libraries and archives.
- A researcher plans to hire local research assistance at an archive to which they cannot travel.
- A researcher plans to create and/or curate digital resources for use in undergraduate classrooms.
Please note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Imaging team is working remotely, and no requests for new photography are being accepted at this time. The ongoing renovation of the Folger will affect our ability to fulfill requests for images requiring new photography over the next few years. Please check our digital image collection to see if what you want has already been digitized, or contact email@example.com to speak with our Collections team.