On April 1, 2021 the Folger hosts its Virtual Book Club, featuring a discussion on A Bright Ray of Darkness by Ethan Hawke. To prepare for the discussion, we have pulled together a list of Folger resources related to Shakespeare’s Henry IV plays, the performance of which forms the background of Hawke’s novel.
READ the play(s)
LISTEN to related podcast episodes
- Episode 34: Great Shakespearean Actors
- Episode 92: Derek Jacobi: Acting Shakespeare
- Episode 149: Directing Shakespeare
LEARN more about Henry IV pt. 1
- Mangled glory: Fact and (mostly) fiction in Shakespeare’s history plays
- Lady Percy and Lady Mortimer in Henry IV, Part 1
- Fat rogue, pampered glutton: Two Falstaffian context clues
- Edward Dering and the earliest record of an amateur private performance of a Shakespeare play
- Henry IV on Folgerpedia
EXPLORE the performance history of the play at the Folger
- Henry IV part 1, Shenendoah Shakespeare Express (1997)
- Henry IV, part 1, Folger Theatre (2008)
- 1 Henry IV, Folger Theatre (2019)
REVISIT Lincoln Center’s 2003 production, featuring Ethan Hawke as Hotspur
Words, Words,Words discusses Ethan Hawke’s A Bright Ray of Darkness on April 1, 2021. The event is free, but registration is required through our website.
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.