On March 4, 2021 the Folger hosts its Virtual Book Club, featuring a discussion on Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood. To prepare for the discussion, we have pulled together a list of Folger resources related to the themes found in this innovative take on Shakespeare’s The Tempest.
LISTEN to related podcast episodes
- Episode 1: The Robben Island Shakespeare
- Episode 58: Shakespeare in Solitary
- Episode 75: The Royal Shakespeare Company’s Digital Tempest
- Episode 115: Simon Mayo: “Mad Blood Stirring”
EXPLORE related articles and collection items
- Shakespeare in prison: How Richard II and Macbeth speak to those in solitary confinement
- A Book Behind Bars: The Robben Island Shakespeare
- Picturing The Tempest in the Folger’s collection
LEARN more about The Tempest
- Strange Shakespeare: Transforming The Tempest, Classifying Caliban
- Prospero’s epilogue as Shakespeare’s farewell? Excerpt – This is Shakespeare by Emma Smith
- The Tempest on Folgerpedia
- Read The Tempest
READ excerpts from recent related books
DISCOVER other Hogarth Shakespeare editions
- Dunbar: Edward St. Aubyn retells King Lear
- Macbeth: Jo Nesbø retells the Scottish Play
- Q&A: Tracy Chevalier on New Boy, her retelling of Shakespeare’s Othello
Words, Words, Words discusses Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Seed on March 4, 2021. Registration for April’s session, exploring Ethan Hawke’s new novel, A Bright Ray of Darkness, opens on Tuesday, March 9 at 4pm.
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.