On February 4, 2021 the Folger returns to its Virtual Book Club with The Moor’s Account by Laila Lalami. To prepare for the discussion, we have pulled together a list of Folger resources related to early modern exploration of the Americas.
LEARN about “new world” discoveries and exploration
- Consuming the New World
- A Cacique By Any Other Name
- The turkey’s journey from the Atlantic to the early modern Islamic world
EXPLORE related exhibitions and collection items
- Spanish Book Collection at the Folger
- Mapping Early Modern Worlds
- Select items from New World of Wonders
- Click here for the locations listed on Geographie, opus novissima, transcribed and translated by Robert Tallaksen
LISTEN to author Laila Lalami discuss her novel Hope and Other Pursuits
- The clip, from “The Displaced: An Evening with Laila Lalami, Shobha Rao, & Luis Urrea,” is available on Soundcloud. The event was held at the Folger Theatre on April 7, 2017. At this event, PEN/Faulkner Fiction and the O.B. Hardison Poetry Series came together to discuss what it means to be a citizen in our volatile world.
Words, Words, Words discusses Laila Lalami’s The Moor’s Account on February 4, 2021. Visit our website to register for the discussion.
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.