The Folger is thrilled to welcome your students to the theater for a complete performance experience!
- Students are exposed to professional theater of the highest quality, developing and deepening a respect for and love of the arts.
- Students engage with Folger actors and staff during a post-show discussion and are encouraged to think critically about theater and connect it to their lives.
- Folger Docents lead tours of the Great Hall an hour before the show to help students explore part of our current exhibition.
- Teachers interested in support and/or resources helpful in teaching these plays, contact Folger Education at email@example.com.
Tickets to student matinees are $25 per person and one chaperone is required for every 10 students. For inquiries and reservations, please contact the Box Office Associate for Group Sales, Amanda Duchemin, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the Box Office at 202-544-7077.
To begin your reservation:
1) Choose your show and a date that works well for your group.
2) Email email@example.com with the following information:
- Organization (if applicable)
- Phone Number
- Date of Performance
- Group Size
- Best time of day to be reached by phone in order to complete reservation
3) Rest easy knowing that your requests will be filled in the order they were received.
2018–2019 Student Matinees
By William Shakespeare
Directed by Aaron Posner
Thursday, 11/8/18, at 10:30am
Thursday, 11/15/18, at 10:30am
“Mad world, mad kings...”
King Richard the Lionheart is dead. His younger brother John secures the throne to become King of England, an inheritance that is instantly contested by the King of France. As countries wage war, John must maneuver himself against a sea of ambition, politics, corruption, and murder that threatens his kingdom. Aaron Posner directs this epic struggle of power and the turbulent reign of Shakespeare’s earliest king. With Holly Twyford as Constance, Arthur’s tragic mother.
Visit Folger Digital Texts to view a detailed synopsis and download a free copy of King John.
By Jessica Swale
Directed by Robert Richmond
Thursday, 2/14/19, at 10:30am
Thursday, 2/21/19, at 10:30am
“Gloriously funny and touching bio-drama.” - Telegraph
A humble orange seller from the streets of Drury Lane steps onto the stage and becomes the darling of the Restoration theater. Nell discovers one of her biggest fans is none other than Charles II. Smitten with Nell’s beauty and spirit, the king brings her to court as a favorite mistress. Commissioned by Shakespeare's Globe, this sparkling portrait of a rare woman earned accolades in London last season. This heart-warming and hilarious look at an amazing woman of her—or any—age is “an absolute treat” (The Times).
Love's Labor's Lost
Directed by Vivienne Benesch
By William Shakespeare
Thursday, 5/9/19, at 10:30am
Thursday, 5/16/19, at 10:30am
Shall we resolve to woo these girls of France?
A young king and his three compatriots renounce the company of women in favor of scholarly pursuits. Their pact is immediately jeopardized, however, when the Princess of France and her companions arrive. Will the men stand resolute and keep their monastic vows—or surrender to the beauty and charms of the opposite sex? Shakespeare’s delicious comedy is full of lovers and clowns, foolery and the follies.
Visit Folger Digital Texts to view a detailed synopsis and download a free copy of Love's Labor's Lost.