On May 5, 2022 the Folger hosts its Virtual Book Club, featuring a discussion on Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler. To prepare for the discussion, we have pulled together a list of Folger resources related to the themes found in this contemporary retelling of Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew.
LISTEN to related podcast episodes
- Episode 72: Adapting Shakespeare
- Episode 74: Tracy Chevalier
- Episode 84: Edward St. Aubyn on Dunbar
- Episode 122: The Gender Politics of Kiss Me, Kate
- Episode 131: Pericles and Mark Haddon’s The Porpoise
LEARN more about The Taming of the Shrew
- The dinner table as classroom: Home-schooling gone wrong in ‘The Taming of the Shrew’
- “The Taming of the Shrew” on the American stage before “Kiss Me, Kate”: An excerpt from “Shakespeare in a Divided America” by James Shapiro by Emma Smith
- The Taming of the Shrew on Folgerpedia
- Read The Taming of the Shrew
PEEK into the mystery of The Taming of a Shrew
DISCOVER other Hogarth Shakespeare editions
- Dunbar: Edward St. Aubyn retells King Lear
- Macbeth: Jo Nesbø retells the Scottish Play
- Q&A: Tracy Chevalier on New Boy, her retelling of Shakespeare’s Othello
- Hag-Seed as part of Words, Words, Words
Words, Words, Words discusses Anne Tyler’s Vinegar Girl on May 5, 2022. Register to join the discussion through our website.
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.