Doors to the theater open thirty minutes before each event for seating. The Folger box office window opens one hour prior to each event. Exhibitions in the Great Hall are on view the hour before each event and during any intermission, unless the hall is closed for a private event. Ask a box office associate to check if the exhibition will be available for viewing on the day you plan to attend.
The Folger is a historic venue –the first Elizabethan-styled theater in North America. There are architectural columns and railings that enhance the ambiance of our theater. They may block portions of the stage from easy view. These seats are denoted as Partial View (PV) during the ticket buying process. Our shows are directed so that the main action takes place in the center of the stage.
We offer reserved seating for Folger Theatre and Folger Consort performances in our historic theater. Unless specified, all other events are general admission and audience members may choose their own seats.
Please note that while most Folger events take place in the Folger Theatre, we occasionally move to larger spaces to accommodate additional audience members. Selected readings and other events may be held at:
- St. Mark's Episcopal Church: 301 A Street SE, Washington, DC 20003
- The Lutheran Church of the Reformation: 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003
- Washington National Cathedral: 3101 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016
- The Phillips Collection: 1600 21st St NW, Washington, DC 20009
- The Music Center at Strathmore: 5301 Tuckerman Ln, North Bethesda, MD 20852
A box office associate can confirm any event’s location and seating capabilities or communicate the contact information for the venue.