How the Folger is supporting teachers during the coronavirus pandemic
We are with you during this extraordinary, uncertain time. We know it’s not easy. But together, we will get through this.
We are listening and responding with free resources as your teaching and learning needs change.
Each week during this crisis, Folger Education will be doing a few things, all free, to support teachers and students everywhere:
- Weekly Folger Teacher Community Conversations, Wednesdays at 7:00PM EDT on Zoom (Sign up)
- Regularly updated collections of distance teaching resources right here on this page
FREE RESOURCES FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING FROM HOME
COVID-19 Community Conversations on Zoom
Register for upcoming Folger Teacher Community Conversations.
Want to catch up on the calls you missed? Watch the archived video.
- April 1st Community Conversation - Main topics: equity in distance learning, voice and choice, performing Shakespeare with understanding and without internet or classmates, chunking a full-length work so students can focus on a few juicy scenes, and no-, lo-, and hi-tech examples of the Folger Method.
- April 8th Community Conversation - Main topics: Folger Method Express Romeo and Juliet packet, reaching students that need scaffolding with images and sentence stems, using images and frequently used words to help students interact with the language of a text, and comparing and contrasting different representations of the same topic.
- April 15th Community Conversation - Main topics: The Folger Method 8 Foundational Principles, an interactive choral reading activity using a scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream and an excerpt from The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and Shakespeare's Birthday 2020.
- April 22nd Community Conversation - Main topics: Shakespeare's Birthday virtual events, artwork analysis, creating a promptbook, using videos to help students connect with each other, creating a story map, making a LUNA slideshow, culminating projects for students, and a very special performance by actress Kate Eastwood Norris.
- April 29th Community Conversation - Main topics: Folger Method, Community Conversation clarifications and observations, Folger Teacher membership, new website for Teacher Members, Folger Shakespeare Library building renovation project, Folger Teacher Guides, next steps for the Community Conversations.
- May 13th Community Conversation - Main topics: using a 20-minute play with Romeo and Juliet during remote teaching, an interactive Tone & Stress activity using a variety of Shakespearean and non-Shakespearean texts, the use of the rheotorical device of repetition with a performance of Richard III 4.4 from actors Kate Eastwood Norris and Cody Nickell.
- May 20th Community Conversation - Main topics: the what, why, and how of a Folger 20-minute play, an interactive 20-minute play of A Midsummer Night's Dream, what are paired texts and why are they important, pairing a speech of Lady Macbeth with Rose (Fences), a poem from Ada Limón and a passage from The Yellow Wallpaper, and a discussion of the big ideas from pairing Hamlet wtih Claudia Rankine's Citizen: An American Lyric.
- May 27th Community Conversation - Main topics: Tossing words using high frequency words from The Color Purple, directions for cutting a scene (a Folger Method essential activity), using breakout rooms for remote teaching, cutting a scene using In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez, the Folger Method Foundational Principles, the Folger Method Arc of Learning, and the Folger Method Essential Activities.
COVID19 Play-specific Teaching Teams
- A Midsummer Night's Dream with Jess Zeiss and Vidula Plante - Session 1, Session 2, and Session 3
- Hamlet with Stefanie Jochman - Session 1, Session 2, and Session 3
- Romeo and Juliet with Deborah Gascon - Session 1, Session 2, and Session 3
- Macbeth with Elizabeth Dixon - Session 1, Session 2, and Session 3
Folger Shakespeare texts, performances, and primary sources
- The Folger Shakespeare: Downloadable digital texts of all of Shakespeare’s works
- The Folger Digital Image Collection (LUNA): Images of books, artworks, manuscripts, and all kinds of primary sources
- Full-cast audio recordings of seven Shakespeare plays: Hamlet, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Othello, Richard III, and Romeo and Juliet. Produced by Folger Theatre, these recordings are the perfect companion to the online Folger Shakespeare editions! (free to stream through July 1, 2020)
- Full, recorded video performance of Folger Theatre's 2008 Macbeth: Conceived and directed by Teller (of Penn & Teller) and Aaron Posner, with eight special features (free to stream on YouTube through July 1, 2020)
- Special bonus: WNET-Channel 13 and the Public Theater have just made freely available the video of the Public’s production of Much Ado About Nothing. Live in Central Park last summer, this wonderful production is great entertainment no matter what you’re studying. Directed by Kenny Leon, set in the USA (Georgia) and featuring an all-Black cast. The full film is available to stream on the PBS website. And check out the accompanying Folger Education resources: lessons by our own Mark Miazga and Amber Phelps!
- American Shakespeare Center is offering performances of A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, Henry IV, Part 1 & Part 2 on their new streaming platform. These were shot live in the world's only recreation of the Blackfriar's Playhouse, Shakespeare's indoor stage, in Staunton, VA. COVID19 forced the temporary closure of ASC; the fees charged for the streamed production will go to support their reduced staff. The fee idea is that a class of 10 or more can view one of the productions for a flat fee of $100. If that's more than you can manage, however, get in touch with Liz Bernardo-Steward and she will work something out for you: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish translation of Macbeth: Alfredo Michel Modenessi, a member of the Faculty of Philosophy and Literature at the National Autonomous University of Mexico in Mexico City has graciously allowed the Folger to make his beta version of Macbeth translated into modern Spanish available to readers.
- Hamlet's famous soliloquy is now available in 12 languages (Arabic, Creole, Esperanto, French, Hawaiian, Kiowa Indian, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, Sim Braille, Spanish and Vietnamese) for readers of all ages to enjoy.
- "Noonsigns" -- Donna Denizé is the author of a poetry chapbook, "The Lover's Voice" and a book of poems, Broken Like Job. An award-winning teacher, Donna serves as the Chair of the English department at St. Albans School in Washington, DC.
- "Why I Stopped Hating Shakespeare" - an excerpt from The Cross of Redemption: Uncollected Writings by James Baldwin and Randall Kenan
- Sessions from Shakespeare's Birthday 2020 - How to Do an Elizabethan Sword Fight in 10 Easy Steps (YouTube), Whiteness: A Primer for Understanding Shakespeare (YouTube or Facebook), and Macbeth Watch Party (Facebook).
Professional Development Webinars
- “Equitable, Engaging, and Subversive Teaching with the Folger Method; Or, How the Heck Do We Teach Texts in the Time of Coronavirus?”: Recording of a Folger Education professional learning webinar at the Share My Lesson Virtual Conference 2020
- Master Class: Teaching Romeo and Juliet, Folger Education, 2013
- Master Class: Teaching Julius Caesar, Folger Education, 2016
- Master Class: Teaching Othello, Folger Education, 2016
- Master Class: Teaching Hamlet, Folger Education, 2016 *Skip to 9:48, the point at which the technology cooperated with us!*
- “Close-reading a Soliloquy, Actively!”: Folger Education lesson plan (PDF)
- "Creating the Promptbook": Folger Education lesson plan (PDF)
- Unit on Othello and American Moor: Folger-DC Public Schools Distance Learning Plans for Othello and American Moor by Keith Hamilton Cobb (Click on "Week 4" for the start of the unit.)
- Unit on Hamlet: Folger-DC Public Schools Distance Learning Plans for (Click on "Week 4" for the start of the unit.)
- Unit on Romeo and Juliet Folger-DC Public Schools Distance Learning Plans for (Click on "Week 4" for the start of the unit.)
- Folger Method Express - Romeo and Juliet: This packet contains the materials and links you need to teach Romeo and Juliet right now and quickly!
- Folger Method Express - Macbeth: This packet contains all of the materials you need to teach Macbeth right now and quickly!
- Folger Method Express - Hamlet: This packet contains all of the materials you need to teach Hamlet right now and quickly!
- Folger Method Express - A Midsummer Night's Dream: This packet contains the materials and links you need to teach A Midsummer Night's Dream right now and quickly!
- Shakespeare in Black and White
- African Americans and Shakespeare
- Hundreds more Folger podcasts--sorted by play
Check back next week for more, and stay fierce!