About the Artist Research Fellowship
The Folger Institute Artist Research Fellowship is open to artists working in all media whose work would benefit from significant primary research. This includes, but is not limited to, visual artists, writers, dramaturgs, playwrights, performers, filmmakers, and composers.
While a terminal degree is not required for the Artist Research Fellowship, applicants should describe their training and level of industry-specific experience in their CV. All applicants must apply as individuals, including artists working as collaborators. See additional Rules and Requirements and Application Instructions.
Please note that in 2022–2023, all Artist Research Fellowships will be non-residential. Awards are $3,500 for four weeks of work away from the Folger. All applications are due by 11:59pm ET on 18 January 2022. All applications must be submitted through the Folger’s online portal. Fellowships may be undertaken between July 2022 and June 2023.
Resources and Benefits
- Access to Folger electronic resources and Researcher Services consultation
- Opportunities to meet virtually with Folger Theatre, Consort, and Poetry professionals, as well as Folger curators, librarians, and conservators, as relevant
- Participation in scholarly and community-building programs with other Folger Fellows
- Exposure on the Folger website, social media, and newsletters
- J1 Visa sponsorship, if needed